Monday, April 9, 2012

Knitting with Beads

Have you taken the leap and added beads to your knitting? I've always been a little intimidated by the whole idea. But over the past few months, the siren's call has been getting stronger and stronger.

Think about it...You get the trifecta of texture, color and bling just by adding a tiny piece of glass or plastic or whatever to your work. It doesn't really get much better than that.

So, when Laura Nelkin told me about her new Craftsy class, I decided to give it a whirl. The preview she sent makes it look easy. Even better, it makes it look fun!

One of the projects in the class, Accola, uses Shepherd Sock. It's shown here in 809 Midway.




















Laura told me that she really likes the yarn for beading projects "as it is super tough and didn't mind the beads sliding down it at all. Some yarns really fuzz up!"























I'm trying to decide if I like the idea of having the bead be a very similar color like you see here or if I'd like to have more contrast. I think I'm leaning towards a little more bling...what do you think?

Have I sold you on trying beads? What if I told you I have a coupon for you? Yep! The nice folks at Craftsy are offering the class for half price. Join me!

2 comments:

Justine said...

My most recent Laura Nelkin beaded project was with Lorna's Lace Shepard Sock. It was lovely to work with.

knitting central said...

i like the project just the way it is. at Knitting Central, we always think a "bit of twinkle" is always a nice added touch. you wouldn't want the beaded area to take over the focus of the piece. the yarn, the pattern stitches and the beads should work as a team and create a desire to move the eye over the whole piece, offering different levels of excitement as you pass over each section. btw, love this piece....