Wednesday, May 4, 2011

First KAL Evening

We had our first Rock Island KAL here at Lorna's Laces last night.
















Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate and instead of sitting out on the roof enjoying a spring evening, we had to move the festivities indoors so we didn't freeze our backsides off. No matter, we had a really nice time.

It was an intimate group of four and in retrospect, I think that was good.* I'm a neophyte lace knitter and I needed to concentrate. If there had been a bigger crowd, my hostess instinct would have probably kicked in and I wouldn't have gotten anything done.

As it was, I only completed two repeats because I had to rip back to my lifeline twice. The pattern really isn't that hard, I was distracted by the conversation and pizza. I'm not complaining, there's nothing wrong with those kinds of distractions!

Three of us are using Helen's Lace and one is using Shepherd Sock. We've all picked the Grand Street Ink color and we're all working on size 6 needles. Not a single one of us swatched...we're all using 6's because they were easy to find on start day. The universal reason for not swatching was because it was a shawl and fit wasn't critical. I think it's interesting that we all shared the same logic along with needle size and color. We're expecting some additional knitters next week and it'll be fun to see their choices.
















The top one is the Shepherd Sock version. It's going to make a big shawl. It'll be nice and cozy too. The other three are all Helen's Lace. I think it interesting that the bottom one is so much looser. I wonder if that has more to do with knitter or because it's being knit on metal needles rather than bamboo.

I do know that I need pointier needles. The bamboo ones I have are too blunt. Time for a trip to the LYS!

*Edited to add: I meant that the small group was good for the first evening. I'm looking forward to as many people who want to join us. The more the merrier!

1 comment:

Kathy Chase said...

Thank you for posting pictures of your starting efforts. I am new to lace knitting and I have been having a hard time getting my shawl started. Now that I can see what it should look like, I am hoping to have an easier time! Thanks!

Kathy