Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bitterroot

I finished up Bitterroot over the weekend. I'm really happy with it! The last few projects I've done have been small lace shawls that I've knit with one of our 'nearly solid' colors. I'd been itching to do something with a little more pizazz but worried that a multi color would overwhelm the lace pattern. On this one, I threw caution to the wind and cast on with Verve. I think it worked out beautifully.














I pretty much followed the pattern as written. It's from knitty.com and designed by Rosemary Hill of Romi Designs. It calls for hand spun, but I substituted our Shepherd Sock. I also skipped the beads. I am intrigued by beads, but haven't taken the leap yet.















The finished product is just a little bigger than some of the other ones I've done lately. It's 26.5" x 55.5" after blocking.














There wasn't much drama with Bitterroot. Except for the suspense of whether or not I was going to have enough yarn to finish. I got about 10 rows from the end and had a ball that just didn't seem like it was going to go the distance. I started doing all sorts of mental gymnastics of the "There are x stitches per row and I have y rows left. If every stitch requires one inch of yarn and the cow jumps over the moon, I will have enough to finish" variety.

It turns out I was in great shape. Ten yards to spare. Easy peasy.

6 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Don't you love it when there's just a little nubbin of yarn left and you end up with something great? Your Bitterroot is lovely.

BTW--My word verification is tanked. Wish I was. Teenage drama will kill me yet.

SamIam said...

I love it! I just finished a Traveling Woman shawl in Shepherd sock with Jimmy Beans limited color for Nov. 2007 -Fall Leaves. Can you believe it. It also turned out beautifully.

Romi said...

It looks great! Next time I see you I'll try to enable you into beads. Heeheeheehee.

Jen said...

Ok, I am totally in love with your Bitterroot. Now I have no choice but to knit one. :)

PutYourFlareOn said...

I love this shawl!

And I love your swingline stapler. Makes me think of Office Space. :)

ES said...

Very pretty.