Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Travelling Woman

I wish I was a traveling woman, but alas, it is not to be this spring. Last year at this time I was in Paris. Dang, that sounds good right about now.

So, instead of a spring break trip, I decided to make a Travelling Woman Shawl. It's the latest in my obsession with the small shawl. I realize that a shawl is not really a fair trade off for a vacation, but we all have to make do from time to time. (Not pouting. Really. Well maybe a little.)

I've pretty much been wearing one of these shawls every day since last fall. It's a really nice, versatile garment. While we were in the throes of winter, it acted as a scarf, one of the many articles in the arsenal against the cold. You know the drill.... sweater, hat, mittens, scarf.

Now that it's getting nicer outside, they can act as their own little piece of outerwear. Oftentimes, having something wrapped around my neck keeps me warm enough that I don't need a jacket.














This project went off without a hitch. I don't think I tinked a single row. That's not to say that my lace skills are good, just that they are less dismal. Every time I get a little better at reading the knitting and visualizing how what I am doing is supposed to look. I'm also learning to recognize mistakes when they happen and how to fix them before it's too late. There's something vaguely puzzle-like about the whole thing.

The yarn here is something I picked up last summer at Sock Summit. I've lost the labels so I can't tell you exactly what it is.














Next on the needles is a pair of Chouwa Socks from Judy Sumner's Knitted Socks East and West. I got one finished over the weekend. With any luck, the second will be done this weekend.

6 comments:

AsKatKnits said...

I love it!! I just cast on The Traveling Woman myself... seems to be the perfect spring break knit.

ClaireEJ said...

Super!! We just had a TwitKAL on Twitter and that was Travelling Woman. About 30 of us made it at the same time. Some made it the size shown on the pattern, others increased it. It's a lovely design.

JelliDonut said...

I've had TW on my list for a while now. I really do need to get busy. Yours is lovely.

Unknown said...

Isn't the Traveling Woman a nice little knit? I have already done 2 myself, and I've thought about knitting a 3rd. Addicted?!

Yours is lovely, the yarn is so pretty!

Jen said...

Very pretty! I knit one for a swap partner on Ravelry, but I am pretty sure I need one for myself now. :)

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes, this is the prettiest shawl EVER!