Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Podium Finish

I am very happy to report that I achieved a podium finish in the 2010 Knitting Olympics!

I absolutely love how my Karen Shawl turned out. Amy Swenson wrote a nice pattern. It was one of those patterns that I had a little trouble envisioning when I read it through before I started, but once the yarn was on the needles it unfolded perfectly. I love a pattern that works like that. Perhaps it is the mystery?

I finished with the knitting on Saturday afternoon and blocked it overnight and I've pretty much been wearing it ever since. Of course the crew here noticed it and complimented me on it, but so did a woman at the grocery store. I am always so tickled when a total stranger notices my handknits.


It is worked in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the color Echo. Echo is an interesting color. It's kind of a greyish brown or brownish grey. I picked it because my winter coat is deep brown, but I think it would work nicely with a black coat too. Echo is like that, it makes friends easily.

I don't know why I had such a hard time with the third lace repeat on this. After all, I did the first two with no problem at all. It was probably the knitting gods giving me a smackdown because I was feeling all smug about how quickly it was going. They are powerful beings and can be vengeful if you get too vain. You'd think I would know not to mess with them by now.

I am amassing quite a collection of these shawls. I think there are still more of them in my future. Even though I did have to frog this one a bit, I think I might be ready for a bit more challenge in the lace. Hmmm....

Oh and before I forget. Thanks to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee for organizing the event and to Franklin Habit for creating the gold medal that you see on the sidebar.

1 comment:

Aidan said...

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I want to be you when I grow up. You always have access to the best yarn!

It is beautiful. Well done!