Monday, January 4, 2010

Back at It

It's good to be getting back into some semblance of a routine after the general frenzy that is "the holidays", isn't it? Between flight delays and a bout with some kind of crud that's been going around, I've been out of touch more than I like.

For me, there is a fine balance between my desire to stay connected and know what is going on and my need to really truly get away. If I get too far from the computer, my brain reverts to 7-year old status and I become afraid I am missing something monumental. But if I spend too much time there, I don't feel like I'm getting the vacation I need. I haven't quite figured out what best answer is. I do know that I don't want to be a slave to it all.

Michael and I headed to Virginia Beach to spend Christmas with my mom. She's going to be 92 in a couple of weeks and I hate to miss any opportunity to spend time with her. We stayed with my sister and her husband and had a really nice time. It was quiet, but I like that. I even got to cook a fancy dinner.

My sister lives out in the country on about 75 acres. They share their home with two Standard Schnauzers, a Maine Coon cat, a peacock and a peahen. There were chickens the last time I was there, but they don't have any right now. I missed seeing the chickens and going out to the chicken coop for fresh eggs. I am a city girl through and through, but it's fun to see how the other half lives from time to time.

We were supposed to head back to Chicago on Saturday, the 26th. After waiting patiently at the airport for about four hours, our flight was canceled because of bad weather. They couldn't get us on another flight until 6:00 AM on Monday morning.

Instead of getting fussy, we decided to make the best of it. We found a hotel near the airport and settled in for a day of unplanned R&R. We took a nice long walk on the beach, checked out the Norfolk Botanical Gardens and tried to relax.

The week between Christmas and the New Year was a blur. I came down with a bug and missed a couple of days here at the studio, but I'm back and happy to be at it again. With TNNA at the end of the week, it's going to be another busy couple of weeks. That is all fine with me.

It seems like everyone has done the compulsory year-end wrap up on their blogs in the past week or so. I am going to resist the temptation. As with most years, 2009 had its ups and downs. I have had years I liked better but there have been many remarkably good things that happened this year too.

Well fed by my friend Neal's black eyed peas and greens on New Year's Day, I am heading into 2010 full of optimism.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a lovely break :-)

Anonymous said...

I got a book...just started crocheting again and it had a pattern that featured your yarn and was BEAUTIFUL...Lorna's Lace, Helen's lace, but it called for a triple cross stitch and I can't find ANYWHERE what that is??? Can you help? I would LOVE to try and make that shawl.

Kathi Townzen

amanda said...

Hi Kathi-

Here is some info I was able to find on the "triple cross stitch".

http://www.learntocrochetcalgary.ca/articles/CYCA-4-Crochet.htm

I also found
"To do a triple cross stich, you wrap yarn around hk twice instead of once. Skip a stitch. Do like your doing double crochet and only go through two loops at a time. So you pull through three times. Then do the same stich going behind your first triple crochet to fill your skiped stich."

I hope this helps. Sorry but I am not a crocheter.

Cheers,
Amanda