Monday, June 8, 2009

Interesting Times

I am finding the whole social network thing more and more intriguing every day. If you would have asked me a year ago if I'd be on Facebook, I would have laughed at you. Six months ago I scoffed at Twitter. Today I am involved on both.

The other day, someone who I don't know outside of Facebook sent me a note there. It turns out that he has a new rabbi coming to his temple and found out that she is a knitter. He wanted my opinion about what I thought would be the best yarn for him to give her as a welcome gift. He's knits lace almost exclusively, but was wondering whether he should go with DK or maybe sock yarn or??????

So, someone I have never met is asking me what he should buy someone he's never met. What a hoot! How cool is it that the little snippets of information gleaned on Facebook allowed him to feel comfortable enough to ask me? And that I could give him an answer that made sense?

We live in interesting times.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I'm still resisting Twitter- too ADD for me- but the internet has led me to know your company and the wonderful yarns you make.

Suna Kendall said...

Like Robin, I gave up on Twitter. It's just not how I prefer to learn.

But I love learning more about people and their interests on Facebook and blogs. I learn a lot and feel more connected to the world.

I think Facebook helps us see how much we all have in common--makes the world seem smaller.

Jean said...

I use both Twitter and Facebook. Been using since the early days.. I love the networking potentials and they give me rare opportunities to mix my non-knitting career network with he knitting community. If it weren't for Ravelry, I would've gotten tired of JoAnn and my useless stockinette st scarf. Where else can you ask for help and some random person from the other end of the continent offers help?

And I agree Twitter can get a little ADD. But that's what "Leave" is for ;) I just de-friend people who use Twitter for their daily vents and tantrum or have heated discussion rather than using DT.

Btw, love that anecdote about the rabbi!!

Tstone said...

Agree! This are interesting times. It's like the Wild West out there on the Internets.

Allyson said...

What a great story! I always love getting emails from strangers all over the world who I would never have had any contact with if not for the internet and social sites. It is a great way to shrink the world, especially the knitting world! down to size.