Monday, October 13, 2008

The Winding Mill

About a week ago, I went to the computer to look up the address of the mill where we get most of our yarn wound from cones into skeins. The computer fairies had deleted their zip code from our records, so I googled them to find it.

I stumbled across this Wikipedia entry. There were a few things I learned that made my heart sing. Like the fact that the building is on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

And that the owners had the tenacity to keep going even after it burned down. Not once, but twice. That takes some real courage.

But my favorite thing is that its primary source of income these days comes from its role as a
hydroelectric plant. They've harnessed the power of the river to create electricity AND yarn. They actually make more power than they use! How cool is that? I'm just tickled pink about this.

Isn't it nice when surprises are good?!

1 comment:

Yarnsnob said...

I think its wonderful that it's done in the USA!