Thursday, August 14, 2008

One of life's little mysteries

Why is it that it takes one day of work to catch up for every day that you are away? I was gone for one measly week and four days later I'm still trying to find my desk amongst all the little bits and pieces that decided to breed in my absence. There must be a way to sterilize paperwork so it can't reproduce.

The trip to Toronto was fantastic! We embraced our inner tourist and did all the typical stuff.

On Tuesday, we went up in the CN Tower. At 1815 ft, it's the world's tallest building. The observation deck has an area with a glass floor. There were people laying on it while they got their picture taken. Little children were jumping up and down with incredible glee. I turned green.

All the literature says it's perfectly safe. That it is "five times stronger than the required weight bearing standard for commercial floors." That "it can withstand the weight of 14 large hippos." But my brain did not believe the literature and insisted that if I stood on the glass I would find myself hurtling over a thousand feet straight down. Splat. So like any rational person, I huddled in the far corner and hyperventilated.

We spent Wednesday window shopping on Queen Street West and wandering through the Distillery District. The Distillery District is a marvelous area with lots of restaurants and artisan's shops. No yarn shops though.

Wednesday evening we hooked up with Amy Singer of Knitty fame for dinner. Amy is the one in the white T-shirt.

She's next up for our Color Commentary series and I had a few samples of possible colorways for her to take a peek at and get her input. We had been talking about the color for awhile and sent some pictures back and forth, but there's nothing like seeing it in person. That gave me the perfect excuse to plan the trip in the first place. As it turns out, the color was close, but it wasn't perfect. We need to make some adjustments before it's ready to go out into the world next month.




When we sat down to dinner, Amy pulled out this beautiful peyote stitch bracelet she had made and gave it to me! You should have seen all the people turn around to stare at me after I squealed. The beads are so tiny and the work so detailed. And how sweet is that clasp? I can't tell you how touched I was that she chose to give it to me. I will wear it proudly.

Here's a bit from her blog about the one she made for herself. It's the July 24th entry. I can't figure out how to get to the exact date so you'll have to scroll down a bit on her site. There's also a bit about the working with the delica beads in her June 18th entry. Girl is multi-talented.



After dinner we strolled over to Lettuce Knit. There are a bunch of wholesale produce companies in the neighborhood. Probably where they got the name, huh? It couldn't have been any cuter. It's in a great old red brick building with this fantastic stained glass window over the door.


They must have had that window made since they moved in a year or so ago, but it looks like it's been there forever. I've been on the hunt for a piece of stained glass to go in the window in my kitchen and haven't had any luck finding one. Maybe I should think about having one made. I'd been thinking I wanted a vintage one but this made me think that maybe I can go this route.

There's much more to tell about the wonderful people we hung out with that evening, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. I have to see about clearing this desk.

No comments: