Thursday, April 24, 2008

Color Series

A few weeks back a very popular blogger, Grumperina, had been showing us how to make stripes in socks without jogs using four shades of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock and a spiraling technique. Even though there were lots of pictures, I had trouble envisioning how it would work, but once I put yarn on needles it all made sense. Very cool! I am a sucker for the technical side of knitting.

I thought the colors she was working with looked very nice together, so I contacted her and asked if she'd like a special Grumperina colorway. She said YES! And a new colorway was born. It was a huge success and we've been dyeing like crazy for Birds 'n Yarn to keep up with the demand.

I got to thinking that it might be fun to collaborate with a bunch of bloggers on colorways and turn it into a series. I've contacted three or four and they all said yes! My scheme is to bring a new one out on the 15th of the month starting in July or thereabouts.

Sound good?

I have several bloggers in mind that I'm planning to contact about getting involved, but I'd love to hear who some of your favorites are.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am personally VERY excited about this (and dying - ha - to know who the bloggers are).

Daryl said...

What a lovely idea. I noticed the Grumperina colorway on her blog. i would nominate Franklin, of course, and he is convenient too...and Stephanie the Yarn Harlot, big surprise since she does knit a lot of socks. By the way, I finally started knitting my yarn from the class on dyeing you taught at Loop in Philadelephia last fall, and I am a total convert. Now i know why Grumperina knits all her socks with your yarn. It is completely different from the cheap stuff I have been using and I may be spoiled forever. Plus I wanted to thank you again for teaching the class. You were wonderful, and i have passed along the instructions to my own little knitting group. We had a lovely Sunday afternoon, although the little saran wrap packets did explode in the microwave (must remember to blot and vent)dyeing up yarn.Thanks.

Unknown said...

Kate Gilbert's blog, Needles on Fire, brought me back to knitting after a 20 year hiatus. Her designs, whether sweaters, socks or baby things are so inventive and wearable. I'd love to see her colorway in Lorna's Laces

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful colorway for Kathy. My picks are The Harlot and Wendy J. (and Kate Gilbert, I agree).