Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Crud

Well, the winter crud that has been having its way with all of us finally found me. I woke up Saturday with an elephant sitting on my chest. It's moved around a bit, but much as I try to shake it, it has still chosen not to relocate.

I have to admit that I haven't been altogether diligent about trying to get well. It's really hard this time of year to take it easy. My first scheme was to get out and take a nice long run. The logic was that the exercise would quash whatever it was that ails me. No such luck.

Saturday night was the.party.of.the.season. I couldn't stay home from that, could I? It was at a new-ish friend's house a couple of blocks from home. This party was to die for. A string quartet played Christmas carols, the food was amazing, the people all a delight. There were 18 staff. Can you imagine? Ooh-la-la. I wonder if they would like to adopt me?

Sunday we had tickets to the symphony. It was the Holiday Yule performance with choirs, (adult and youth) dancers, and a visit from Santa. All very fun. Then home in my jammies and early to bed. Somehow an extra hour of sleep wasn't quite enough. The elephant still refused to budge. The nerve!

I finaly cried Uncle on Monday and stayed home from work and home from dinner out with Anne, who was in from Atlanta. I took off a half day yesterday to boot and I am finally back. Not 100 percent but I'm pretty close.

Tomorrow is the Lorna's Laces holiday party. We go to tea at a different hotel every year. This time it's the Ritz-Carlton. I've thought about doing something different, but traditions are nice. Especially this time of year.

No comments: