Monday, November 12, 2007

I'd like to introduce "Pinto Bean"


I get my hair cut at a salon called Robert Jeffrey. I've been going there for years.

Imagine my suprise when I was checking out last weekend and looked over to see a basket full of yarn! I thought it a little bit odd to see yarn for sale in a salon so I started asking questions.

As it turns out, the owners live about 90 minutes or so away in Sawyer, MI and own a Northwind Llama Farm!! What a hoot! They are primarily about showing and breeding the animals, but from time to time they get some of the fiber spun up into yarn.

I poked around the basket and saw names on the yarn like "Pinto Bean" and "Anita". It turns out those are the names of the llamas whose fiber the yarn was spun from. I was enchanted.

There wasn't enough of any one yarn to make a sweater, but there was enough "Pinto Bean" to make a nice scarf with probably enough left over for a pair of fingerless gloves or something like that.

I cruised around their website for awhile yesterday. They will let you come visit their farm. Since we have friends with a weekend place about 10 miles from there, I think a fieldtrip is in order!

No comments: