Thursday, November 29, 2007

Birthday, round two

A month or so ago,I made an offhand remark that I was disappointed that we'd missed Steppenwolf's production of a play called August: Osage County. It won all the theatre awards here in Chicago and was on its way to Broadway.

Lo and behold, when my birthday rolled around, my husband presented me with tickets to the show in New York! Mind you, he'd purchased the tickets three days before the stagehands struck. (Striked?) So, he's been a little worried that we wouldn't be able to see the show. Lucky for us, they were able to settle last night. Yahoo!

So, we're off to NY in the morning for a long "birthday" weekend. I can't wait! I know I was there just a few weeks ago, but that was for work. This is all play. We're going to put our tourist hats on and see two plays, visit the Met, see the Christmas tree in Lincoln Center, try and get squeezed in at Balthazar.

We're also planning to visit this little art gallery called the Art Studio Showcase down on Lafayette in Soho that we haven't been to in awhile. It carries paintings by students from the local art school and we've found some wonderful things there over the years. There are lots of still lifes because it's much cheaper to buy a bowl full of fruit than to pay a live model, but there's also plenty of other things.

In knitting news, I've finished the knitting on the Camo Crew kid's sweater. Now it just needs to be finished. Like so many of us, I'm not a big fan of the finishing so it's going to spend some time in the UFO basket. But since it needs to be ready to go to TNNA in January, its visit there will be relatively short.

I've just barely started on a shawl that we'll be displaying at TNNA too. It's Fiber Trends "Landscape Shawl". I'm a little farther along than this photo shows and it's a very fun pattern! There's a little bit of garter, a little bit of seed, a little bit of stockinette with picot edging just to keep things interesting. I think it will be the weekend's airplane project.




Here's another project on needles around here. This is Simplest Sweater for Baby that Amanda is working on. It's the easiest garter stitch thing imaginable. There's also a crochet version that just quick and easy. I think we're all in the market for quick this time of year. As I mentioned, most of mine are for work but most of us are lucky enough to be making things for loved ones. Next year for sure!

No comments: